Rationale for Mac Standardisation
In 2017-18 ISU’s BYOD program is evolving to a standardized Mac platform for grades 6-10. This will be phased in over the next two years. We believe this will benefit student learning:
- Allows students and teachers to focus more on learning and less on the maintenance of their laptops.
- Less time will be spent out of the classroom dealing with technical issues
- When supporting laptops if there are issues with one laptop there is a good chance that it applies to all. Once an issue is solved the solution can be applied to other laptops more efficiently than a system with multiple types of laptops
- Simplifies the learning process for teachers and students by allowing them to concentrate on specific programs to accomplish specific tasks.
- Can concentrate their efforts on learning and using common learning programs.
- Teachers will be able to better support students
- Supports the standardized curriculum at ISU.
- Allows for more efficient delivery of this curriculum.
- Allows students to efficiently manage their work in this system as they can easily drag & drop items, connect with other users, etc.
- Concentrating their skill development on one platform will help students as a whole develop skills faster through collaboration and these skills will be adaptable to other platforms later on.
- Mac laptops are quality learning devices that should, with proper care, last a minimum of 4 years, a year longer than we found the majority of student PCs were lasting.